Monday, March 30, 2009

Eames Lounge Chair !



Exciting news, as many of you know I've been looking for an Eames 670 Lounge Chair for some time. Given that they are very expensive I've been holding out on purchasing a new one and have been looking for a used one at a value price. Sunday night after having dinner with our neighbors John and Sam I sat down and did my daily searchs on craigslist. After typing Eames in the search query I hit enter fully expecting somebody to have posted their grandmothers ugly couch as an eames era sofa. As I read the heading Eames Rosewood Lounger $500 I clicked as fast as I could, sure enough there it was, plenty of pictures, and the Herman Miller tags on the bottom. One catch, no bottom seat cushion and no ottoman cushion. Not hesitating I immediately email the seller.....cursing gmail for opening so slowly....typing quickly....first I type that I would like to look at it...send. Then I start googling replacement cushions and I find a couple of sets that are reasonable (well as reasonable as an Eames Herman Miller replacement can be). Ok now I go back and scour over the photos looking for big scratches, breaks, looking for any sign that its a knock off. Then I email again.......I want it, please call asap, have cash....yadda yadda.......then I get a phone call about 20 min later....get his address and set up a time before he goes to work. Luckily the bank is open that early and I head off with cash in hand. Its as advertised, other than the cushions missing it shows normal wear and tear for a 40 year old chair. Here are some pictures of it with whats left of the 4" of snow we got on Saturday. So if any of you readers know of some replacement cushions for sale please email me, or even if you have a set of worn out cushions I only need the backs to have them reappoulstered.

5 comments:

.dvin. said...

thats awesome! good luck on the search for the cushions!

Delia said...

What a great find! Congratulations

Joe and Michele said...

Wow! That is so awesome. Congrats!

custardbydesign said...

jealous....

congrats on your amazing find...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, I have also just purchased my first Eames Lounge chair and am quite excited. Unfortunately, they also need new cushions. Where did you purchase the set of cushions? I just called Herman Miller, and they estimate $2200, which is simply too much. Please let me know via email. Thanks so much!

my email is drose115@me.com