Sunday, February 01, 2009

Working on an Endtable

I built a little end table on Thursday and Friday. First I went through the pile of Mahogany and picked out several pieces that had a similar color and really nice grain. I then jointed and cut them down to the same thickness then glued them up for the table top.
I cut a taper on the legs and used the Domino to join the legs together.

Since the tabletop was larger than my planer, I had to handplane the top down. It took me about 30 minutes, but I got the top all nice and flat and removed the extra glue.
I had to make a little jig to cut a circle on the bandsaw. It works really well in theory but cutting a 18" circle on 1.5" thick Mahogany is not an easy task. This was by far the hardest part of the whole thing.
After some extensive sanding I put a coat of finish on the top and the base. I took this picture just as I poured some of the finish on the top, you can see the really nice grain show through immediately. I still need to get some finished pictures of the bench I helped Eric with and the finished little table. I think I'm going to make a couple more, so I will have some for sale if your interested.

No comments: